Thursday, November 15, 2007

fleeting thoughts

Why d'you suppose our spam filter blocked a plain text email from me to a friend of mine asking how her mother was, yet this morning there was an html message with the words "puffy penis" in the title waiting for me from someone called... actually I can't remember 'cos I deleted it without paying too much attention.

And another thing; our firewall seems to have a mind of its own. Yesterday I couldn't leave comments on blogs but today I can. Yes I know I said I won't be blogging from work anymore but what can I say? I have no self-control.

It was raining this morning when I was riding to work. Traffic wasn't great and visibility was poor since daylight had only just begun to think about putting in an appearance. In these conditions I take it slow because even with my high-viz vest I know that drivers are less likely to see a girl on a motorcycle than they otherwise might be.
Two things happened.
One, I almost missed my turnoff. For the first time since I started riding the bike (about 9 months ago) my subconscious took over driving for a while. There is a stretch of around 2.5km of motorway that I do not remember riding this morning. My mind was on something else completely. They say that's a good thing, because apparently your subconscious drives better than your conscious but I found it a little scary.

The second thing was completely unrelated. On a bike, you're much more in touch with your surroundings; you feel the cold (or warmth, as the case may be, though not in Dublin very often) and you smell the scents of your surroundings. For me, it is always the smells that do it and this morning I was suddenly transported back to Jeffreys Bay in the summertime, in the rain because although it was freezing outside (unlike J-Bay in the summertime!) there was something about the smell, like salty sea air (again, very unusual in Dublin) mixed with the smell of rain and I could smell the vegetation on the sand dunes and hear the endless swooshing of the waves on the sand, and I was filled with young love and enthusiasm and life. Our summer holidays in Jeffreys Bay when I was a teenager were some of the happiest times of my life. Sun, fun and summer romances, bonfires on the beach at night with friends I thought would be there forever.
The sensation lasted about 30 seconds and then I was belched on by a bus.
Sure, we grab the moments when we can.

13 comments:

DelBoy said...

Ahhhh, JBay in the summer. Pleasant memories of walks on the beach, parties on the beach and, as we got older, parties in the hotel (don't remember the name - must be old age!)
Actually cuz, while I was home in Feb, I dug up some interesting old photos that I may have to post on Flickr sometime... ;-)

laurie said...

i'm not at all sure that my subconscious drives better than my conscious. and i'm not at all sure that i want to give it a chance to find out...

Terri said...

Del - It was the Savoy Hotel. Or the Beach Hotel. Now about those photots... actually that'd be cool. Wait - Flickr? I don't think I have you on my Flickr contacts. This won't do at all!

Laurie - LOL! I know what you mean. I've heard that's what 'They' say, but who the hell are 'They' anyway?!

LiVEwiRe said...

I'm getting all caught up in your description of you being transported to Jeffreys Bay and then this rude bus comes along! Lol ~ It's nice to experience those good things, even if it is brief. ;)

L said...

Sometimes those are the best moments ever.

Unknown said...

Aaaaah JBay!! Just what I needed today with snow on the ground left over from yesterday. I am so pleased you aren't absent anymore ... and would be grateful if you would visit me in order to complete the emphasis of this message. "Belched on by a bus..." :o)
Love, Me xxx

Terri said...

LiVEwiRe - Story of my life, LOL!

Lori - I love those moments, when old memories come back so strong I actually feel like I'm there.

Dawn - Howzit Doll! I seem to be getting back to ... not just blogging but I guess interacting with people in general. I'll be over to visit in a jiff :-)

kyknoord said...

Hmmm... you think you can bottle up some of that scent for me? During this morning's trip to work (also in the rain, btw), I was only able to conjure up a memory of the time I worked in a diesel workshop.

AngelConradie said...

sorry bout the bus... teehee... but i so know what you mean about a smell bringing home a memory!!!
i am still very jealous you ge to ride to work...
aaaahhhh... one day...
;P

AngelConradie said...

as for firewalls and spam filters... i don't get it either!!!

Ben O. said...

I can practically smell the fragrant bus belch as I read your recap.

Lovely.

Ben O.

AngelConradie said...

i have something for you...

You Totally Blow My Mind

Terri said...

Kyknoord - I would if I could. And sure, I'd send you some. That way I wouldn't be the only weirdo walking around sniffing a bottle all day.

Angel - The riding is fun. Although I must say it's becoming a teensy bit less pleasant in the winter weather we're having these days. It still beats being stuck in traffic, though.

Ben O - I'm always happy to share...
;-)